Pages

Wednesday 8 February 2017

Summer Learning Journey

P.S - This is day 13 - 20 By the way
Activity 1
Justin Bieber is arguably one of the most famous musicians in the world right now. He has had (#) of Number 1 hits, including the songs:
  1. Sorry
  2. Love Yourself
  3. Baby
Watch the three videos. After you have finished watching them, rank them from #1 (best) to #3 (worst). On your blog, list the three videos in order from best to work and tell us why you have ranked them in that order.
#1 - Sorry I am Rating Sorry 1 because it's catchy ( Kinda ) and because it's one of the few song Justin Bieber released with his face not on it Also because I love the dancers
#2 - Love Yourself the reason why I picked this song next because I liked it more than BABY and Dancing is great
#3 - Baby the reason why this song is last because JB was younger and his voice was a little high ( I don't like high ( not a hater just saying) Sorry cause I'm missing more than your body/sorry really )
Activity 2
Source: http://www.portableroadways.com/countdown-to-womad/
Every year there is a huge music festival held in New Plymouth, New Zealand. It is called WOMAD. WOMAD stands for ‘World of Music, Arts and Dance.’ The festival began in 1980 and there are WOMAD festivals held every year in Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Spain, Italy and The United Arab Emirates. They attract singers and performers from all around the world. Imagine that you are on the WOMAD organising committee for next year. Which two musicians/bands would you invite to perform? On your blog tell us the names of the two musicians/bands and tell us a bit about them. Where are they from? What kind of music do they play?
Adele - Adele plays soul music ( about heartbreak and Relationship ) She was born in London, Adele has one child and she is a full time singer and songwriter.
Stan Walker - Stan Walker is an Australian born New Zealander Stan plays R&B Pop music. He won the 7th and last season of australian Idol.
Bonus Activity
There are literally dozens of different types (‘genres’) of music in the world, including classical, rock ‘n roll, Rhythm & Blues (R&B), pop, hip hop, rap, jazz, etc. Some musicians play on their own and some play as part of a band. Arguably, the most influential band of all time is The Beatles. They were a rock band from Liverpool, England.
Dozens of movies have been made about the band. The most recent was a documentary called ‘The Beatles: 8 Days a Week – The Touring Years.’ Watch the trailer for this movie.
After you have finished, tell us two things that you learned about the Beatles from watching this trailer. They can be any two interesting facts!
  1. At one stage the Beatles were the top british band and had the top records for the year
  2. The Beatle thought that they weren't hered and they got fed up so they decided to travel .
You are now fully recharged having spent the last few days watching TV and listening to music in your hotel room. You decide to go for a walk. As soon as you step outside you see a big bus drive past. On the side of the bus is a huge picture of the leader, the president/prime minister, of the country. They are the most powerful person in the whole country.
Activity 1
Here in New Zealand, the prime minister of the country is the Honourable Bill English. Imagine that you are Mr. English and you have the power to create laws (rules) that all people in New Zealand would have to follow. If I (Rachel) were the prime minister I would make a rule that everyone should eat lollies for breakfast. What three (3) rules would you make up if you were the prime minister? On your blog tell us what your three rules would be.
  1. All citizens have same rights.
  2. There will be a festival called Talk where people get to have a say in the world
  3. No GST and Minimum wage will match standard of living
Activity 2
Some people say that the most powerful person in the world is the president of the United States. His name is Donald Trump and he became the president this past November when he beat out his competitor, a woman named Hillary Clinton. Google ‘Hillary Clinton’ to find out a little bit more about her. On your blog, post three interesting facts about Hillary.
  1. Hillary Clinton has been called “The Lady Macbeth of Little Rock.
  2. Hillary Clinton Religion is Methodist
  3. Hillary Clinton loves Goldfish crackers, chocolate, and mystery novels.  
Bonus Activity
Being the prime minister of a country is a big responsibility. Would you like to be the prime minister of New Zealand one day? On your blog tell us what you think. Would you like to be the prime minister?  Why or why not?
I would like to be the Prime minister because I would like to take on the responsibility and make changes like remove GST, make healthy food affordable and come up with plans for housing issue
I wouldnt like to be the Prime Minister because there are too many issues/problems to be fixed and it would be very stressful
Activity 1
When you walk into the local gallery, the first piece of artwork that you see is a painting by Wassily Kandinsky called ‘Swinging.’
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Swinging by Wassily.jpg
http://www.wassilykandinsky.net/work-251.php
While you are looking at it, a staff member at the gallery comes up to you and asks you for your opinion of the painting. What do you think of it?
On your blog please tell us:
  1. What do you think of this painting? Do you like it?
  2. If you could buy it and give it to someone, who would you choose?
If it was me, I would give it to my sister because she really likes bright, bold colours and abstract pictures.
I think that this painting is colorful and bright. I'm in the middle because I think that this piece of art is complicated but I love the colors and the display of work.
I would give it to my teacher because I think that she would like it.
Activity 2
After exploring the gallery you decide to walk across the street to the national museum. It is an amazing place! There is so much information about the history of the country in this museum. It’s hard to know where to start!
After walking for a little while you come across a display with pictures of children that were taken in 1901 (over 100 years ago)! In this picture, the children are working on a local farm, milking cows. They are not going to school. Back in those days, children usually went to school until they reached the age of 12? Would you be happy or sad? On your blog, tell us how you would feel.
I would be sad because I would miss going to school and all my teachers, friends and just all the staff also it would be really lonely.

Bonus Activity
In New Zealand we have many museum and galleries. One of the largest is called the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa or ‘Te Papa’ for short. Inside Te Papa there is a huge exhibition called ‘Gallipoli - The Scale of our War.’ It has information about a special battle, the Battle of Gallipoli, that took place during World War I. Many New Zealanders took part and many lost their lives.
The battle started on 25 April 1915. We commemorate this battle every year by celebrating Anzac Day on 25 April. Visit the Gallipoli website. It will give you lots of information about this famous battle. On your blog, tell us three things that you learned about the battle.
  1. In the battle they get their water delivered by tankers
  2. Day in, Day out the soldiers had to eat salty stringy bully-beef and hard rock biscuits
  3. In the battle they were so lousy and hot the bathed in the salt water - Despite the shrapnel
Activity 1
Imagine that you are visiting on the national holiday of your chosen country. On your blog tell us what you would eat, see and do on that day.
Japan - I would eat Noodles or Sushi, I would like to see The Tokyo Imperial palace and do Martial Arts
Canada - In Canada I would eat hot dogs, I would like to see a concert and I would go to the carnival fair.
Activity 2
Create a brand new public holiday for the country.  Use your creativity to come up with a name for the holiday and a short description of how people in the country celebrate the holiday. Do they all get the day off? Do they eat special foods or go to special events to mark the day?
Name - Together
Description - Together will be held on September the 25th everyone will get a day off. Together is when the community is pretty much TOGETHER. Food is free so go hard.
Bonus Activity
In New Zealand our national holiday is on 6 February. It is called Waitangi Day. What do you do to celebrate Waitangi Day? Do you go somewhere special? On your blog tell us what you do on that day.
On Waitangi we don't do much just chill
Activity 1
On your blog tell us which of the icons you would most like to visit in your chosen country. Be sure to tell us why you have chosen it!
Canada - Niagara Falls – Largest waterfall in the world because I already choose Rocky mountains and love anything the gots to do with WATER ( I love waterfalls to )
Japan - Jigokudani Monkey Park – Famous hot spring with live monkeys I choose this one because A, I love monkeys and B I think it would be nice to relax

Activity 2
Let’s imagine that you have been asked to host a visitor from another country. They are going to come and stay with you for three days. During that time, you are expected to take them on a tour of New Zealand and show them some our most famous icons. Where would you take them? If it was me, I might take them to Mt Cook in the south island, to the Sky Tower in Auckland and to Chums Beach in the Coromandel. What about you? On your blog, tell us which three famous places in New Zealand you would go with your visitor.
First I would take them to the sky tower 2nd I would take them to Hunua Falls and lastly I would take them to Rainbows End ( Being Honest )
Bonus Activity
Take a picture of yourself standing beside a popular place in your community. It can be anywhere that’s pretty popular in your area (e.g. a store, a restaurant, a marae, etc). On your blog please tell us about the landmark. What is the name of it? Where is it? Who goes to it?
Sorry I didn't have enough time to take a photo but here is a popular landmark in Aotearoa
Image result for sky tower
Activity 1
Imagine that you have just entered the zoo. On your blog, tell us what you think you might see on your visit. You can start with this sentence:
I had just entered the zoo when, all of a sudden, I saw…
Aim for a blog post of 8 - 10 sentences in length. You can do it!
I had just entered the zoo when I came across these signs one sign said dangerous animals and one said cute animals. I decided to fistly look at the dangerous animals, as I was walking through the pathway I heard strange noises. But like me I ignored it, when I reached my destination I saw weird creatures but then they turned into scary big animals I looked everywhere I  noticed there was know on with me so I decided to leave. When I got out of there a lady that worked there asked me did I like the clips “WHAT” that was a clip I should've known it didn't quite look 3D. Well anyways I think it time to enjoy the cute animals.
Activity 2
When you are at the zoo, you have the chance to learn about some animals that are specifically found in your country. They are called ‘indigenous’ animals. This means that they are originally from your country. Use Google to identify two indigenous animals from your country. On your blog, post a picture of the animals and tell us a bit about them. What are they called? Where do they live? What do they eat?
Wolverine - The Wolverine is an indigenous animal in Canada and they eat rabbits and rodents.
Image result for wolverine animal
Beavers - Beavers are indigenous animal in Canada and they eat leaves, twigs and bark
Bonus Activity
Sadly, there are a number of animals in the world that are struggling to survive because they cannot find enough food to eat or a safe place to live. Many of these animals are dying and, in some cases, there are very few of them left. They are called ‘endangered animals.’ In New Zealand we have many endangered species, including the kakapo, a shiny green bird that likes to make its nest on the ground. Unfortunately, the nest is really easy to get to and other animals can easily steal the kakapo’s eggs. As a result, very few new kakapo are born. There are 55 kakapos in New Zealand right now.





C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\kakapo image.jpg

http://www.arkive.org/kakapo/strigops-habroptila/image-G41488.html
The New Zealand government is trying to save the kakapo. They are looking for creative ideas. What do you think they could do? On your blog, tell us what you think should be done to save the kakapo. Please be as creative as you can!
The Government should have small furnaces around the world or just go around asking people just for a small contribution ( Maybe just a dollar ) and if they have raised a bit of money they could provide shelter and food for the Kakapo birds. #SAVETHEKAKAPO
Activity 1
Let’s imagine that the neighbouring town was about 30 kilometres away. There are a number of beautiful villages and interesting things to see along the way. You have four options for this trip. You can take a:
Train – 25 minute ride; No stops along the way; $12 for the trip (return)
Bus – 45 minute ride; Two stops along the way to look at interesting villages; $8 for the trip (return)
Scooter – 1 hour ride; Unlimited number of stops; $5 for the trip (return)
Bicycle – 2 hour ride; Unlimited number of stops but there are some hills along the way; $1 (return)
On your blog, tell us which of these four options you would choose and why!
I would choose Scooter as there are unlimited stops therefore i would not miss out on any beautiful sites or villages
Activity 2
These days there are, literally, dozens of different kinds of vehicles that we can use. Some of them are quite familiar (eg. car, truck, bus) but some are very unique and different. Watch this Youtube clip of the most Amazing vehicles ever made.
When you have finished tell us which of the vehicles you liked the most. On your blog tell us the name of the vehicle and the reasons why you liked it so much. There are a number of pretty interesting options!
I would pick Segway as it is similar to a machine I have seen people riding inside Coca Cola. It looks fun and i would love the breeze on my face

Bonus Activity
The Canadian government has decided to build the longest walking trail in the world. It is called the Great Trail’ and it covers 15 000 miles. Wow! For this activity, we are drawing inspiration from this walking trail and thinking about our own footprints.
Your task is to use DrawIsland tool to create your own digital footprint. The footprint must include your name and the name of the country that you are visiting. Otherwise, you can decorate it in any way that you want. It’s totally up to you! Once you have drawn your footprint, save it, and then upload it to your blog. Here is an example of my footprint:
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Footprint.png
Here is my footprint  a little simple doh
Screenshot 2017-02-08 at 8.29.22 AM.png

Activity 1
Imagine that you have just arrived at the airport in Auckland. Your whole family is there to greet you. They can’t wait to hear all about your trip! You decide that you’ll go home and have a special meal together to celebrate your return. Your mum offers to make you anything that you would like to eat. On your blog, tell us what you would choose to have for your special meal.
If it was me, I would ask for homemade hamburgers with ketchup, American-style mustard, onions, tomato and lettuce; Cajun-style wedges with tomato sauce and Greek salad with cherry tomatoes and lots of feta cheese. For dessert I would ask for vanilla cake with chocolate icing and neapolitan ice cream. What would you ask for?
If it was me I would have Pasta ( I love pasta ) and for Dessert a cookies and cream cheesecake and strawberry ice cream
Activity 2
After four full weeks of planning and travelling, you are now safely back in New Zealand. You have now had some time to relax and to reflect on your experiences. What are two things that you have learned from your travels? On your blog, tell us about any two things that you have learned.
  1. I learned that tokyo is the capital of Japan
  2. Also I learned about what most people eat in japan
  3. I learned what Canadian people do on national day
  4. I also learnt about some of their hottest spots.
Bonus Activity
School is about to start again for a new year. Yay! Imagine that you walked into your classroom and your teacher asked you to stand up in front of the class and talk about the country that you visited. On your blog, you can:
  1. Post a short video clip of yourself talking about the country that you visited and the things that you learned (1 – 2 minutes)
  2. Type out what you would say to the class if you had 1 – 2 minutes to speak.
Sorry I could not make a clip but I would say I just visited Canada and Japan both countries were Beautiful and people were very lovely and I learnt heaps of Information about both countries and I hope I can visit again.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cherise,

WOW. You have officially blown me away. What an amazing effort! I love it that, despite some technical difficulties, you went ahead and completed the entire journey. Your positive attitude and strong work ethic are really impressive. I hope that you know that we are all really proud of what you have accomplished.

Good on you!

I really enjoyed seeing you last Friday at the school assembly. I hope that your first few weeks of classes have gone well and that you've been learning a lot. I have already learned a lot about you from this recent post, including the fact that you like Cookies 'n Cream cheesecake and strawberry ice cream. Those are two of my all-time favourite treats as well!

I was really pleased to see that you'd also like to become the prime minister one day and would remove the GST from items and raise the minimum wage. I strongly believe that we need address wage inequity here in New Zealand. The cost of living is just so high that many of us struggle to earn a living wage. Stay strong, keep working hard and learning heaps and you will be well on your way to becoming PM one day. How cool would that be?!

Best,
Rachel :)

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.